24 January 2012

Patience, Affliction

James 5:10-11

10 Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.

11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

As I have read these words I am reminded of all that the prophets have done for the people on the earth and how grateful I am for all of them, and for our living Prophet today, President Monson.  Joseph Smith is an example of "suffering affliction, and of patience" as he was persecuted and eventually martyred. Elder Holland's talk Lessons from Liberty Jail  has taught me much about the principle of how suffering afflictions can become a sacred, spiritual experience. 

As I have been faced with trials throughout my life, the Lord has never left me helpless or alone, only I have chosen to feel that way.  I have been happy as I have endured, and I have seen the Lord's hand in my life as I have worked to develop patience and be patient, and even when I haven't been so patient.  He has blessed me and truly is "very pitiful, and of tender mercy".  Elder Bednar's talk    The Tender Mercies of the Lord has helped me to recognize the Lord's tender mercies in my life and show gratitude for them, because no matter what happens, I am a very, very blessed person.

No comments:

Post a Comment